The Use of the Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus Vaccine (Gardasil) as Adjuvant Therapy in the Treatment of Recurrent Respiratory Papilloma

Objective: To examine the effect of the quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccine, Gardasil, on the disease course of patients with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis (RRP). A retrospective chart review of patients with RRP was conducted and 20 patients were selected who had received the Gardasil vaccine as part of their treatment. Efficacy was assessed by calculating the intersurgical interval (ISI) before and after receiving the vaccine, as well as number of complete and partial remissions. Analysis of all patients found a significant increase in the ISI of 3.1 months (95% confidence interval [CI]: 1.02-5.19, P=0.0061). Male patients experienced an increase in the ISI of 4.2 months (95% CI: 1.6-6.7, P=0.0048). Female patients had a nonsignificant increase in ISI of 1.2 months (95% CI: 3.1-5.4, P=0.51). Eight patients (40%; six male and two female) experienced complete remission. Five patients (25%) overall (three male and two female) experienced partial remission. In total, complete or partial remission was achieved in a total of 13 (65%) patients (nine male and four female). The Gardasil vaccine can modulate the severity of RRP and induce remission in some patients. The effect was much greater in males and in females in low estrogen states.

Journal Journal of Voice
Year 2015
Volume 29
Issue 2
Pages 223-229

Young, David L.; Moore, Michael M.; Halstead, Lucinda A. (2015) The Use of the Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus Vaccine (Gardasil) as Adjuvant Therapy in the Treatment of Recurrent Respiratory Papilloma. In: Journal of Voice: Official Journal of the Voice Foundation, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 223-229. Available at https://openmusiclibrary.org/article/70703/.

Links

View it in the Music Periodicals Database

Uploads

Drag and drop files here

or click to select them
Uploaded just now